We were able to do our making a mummy project using a “Ken” doll. Actually I think it’s a New Kids on the Block/Joey McIntyre doll. We got the idea from Living and Learning’s Making A Mummy post.
1. Oldest daughter read from the Best Book of Mummies book before we started to give us an overview of what mummification was all about. I prepared a resin mixture out of 1 part glue and 2 parts water. I also cut strips of gauze for our linen cloth.
I made stitches on the abdomen where we pretended to remove the internal organs. Then I made an eye of the God of Horus charm out of scrap paper to put over the stitch to keep out evil spirits.
2. We started putting the “resin” on the head and then oldest daughter started wrapping the head while I held the body. All three girls took turns putting glue and gauze on the body.
3. When we were done with one layer of gauze, we added protective amulets to the body – we used a snake form oldest daughter’s Lego Indiana Jones set and some tiny gems I had from the craft store. We tucked them into the bandages.
4. Then I added more glue and wrapped the body in a final layer of gauze. The two canopic jars are from the Slinky Ancient Pyramid kit.
Ta-da! Coolness. It was tricky to get started, but eventually we worked out all the wrinkles. Ha ha.